Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Music Videos of 2012: Part Uno

While I'm prepping my Best of Songs of the Year, I need to post the best music videos of the year.  This list doesn't necessarily coincide but sometimes a really awesome video bumps up a song in my brain into Made-the-list-town.  I'll do a couple of posts of this as there are lots of awesome music videos and no one wants a page to load forever.


You Won't - Who Knew

I didn't know anything about these guys until today.  This video is phenomenal.  And my favorite part? You'll know as soon as you see it.  If you love 1985, you will know it.

Am I going to go check out this band now?  You freaking know it.  Good job, You Won't.  Awesome name, too.





Grimes - Oblivion

I'm a little obsessed with her.  Her video for Genesis is mega weird.  In this one, there's something about the awkwardness and realness of this video that makes my eyes stay glued.  Half the time it's like she's dancing and shooting a video completely guerilla, just some weird pink haired girl being filmed while all this other stuff is going on.  And then other times, this video feels like the child to Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" video.



M.I.A - Bad Girls

It's a lot of people's best video of the year and it's easy to see why.  It's got attitude, the location is exotic (to US folks), and it has sweet car tricks.  You don't need to watch the whole video.  Just watch the sweet car stuff.

Am I into her music?  Not really.  But I love this video.



Woodkid - Run Boy Run

The description I read for this video was "How could you imagine the song without the video?" It's like they were made for each other.  It's totally epic and beautifully shot and another great example of how music videos are still alive.