This time it's a group effort. Fellow poets are combining to each produce a poem a day with a prompt of some kind. Here's my first offering.
Doors
My brother builds doors,
sets jambs to lintels.
He can tell by the heft of a doorknob
whether hollow-, stave-, or solid-core.
He tells me where we could kick through,
the kinds of pressure needed to get inside a home.
Odd to see a door apart, freestanding
in the middle of the warehouse.
It defines nothing, leads nowhere.
I ask has he ever stepped through,
he says “not ever, too spooky…
they tell me a guy vanished like he never lived
and sure, it’s whisper-talk and voodoo…
you see, walls trap a universe, put an edge on space,
pocket us away from each other but
doors are a wormhole, they’re built to be.
How can you conjure something for a purpose
and not believe it will fulfill it?
No, I never step through an unroomed door,
sleep in a still car, walk down an empty river.”
I think this would be more meaningful to me if I wasn't picturing you having a discussion with Craig about doors. Since he's a waiter now are you gonna do a poem about that? What about guest service representative?
ReplyDeleteI enjoy the poem, especially the last stanza. It spoke to me a bit more than the rest.
I've heard James musing about doing a series of peices on Hollywood Video. Stand by for a possible interview on your experience.
ReplyDeleteMike, you're definitely next. I've already written poems about Allen, Candace, Mom, Nama, and now Craig. You and Nampa are up. Maybe Big Craig and his Dr. Doolittlian animal powers.
ReplyDeleteCan you actually write a screenplay about that last one?
ReplyDelete