Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"A Taste of Things to Come"



I'm not saying that I'm trying to do a poem everyday because then I'll jinx myself. So I'm just saying I'm trying to write something frequently. But in exciting news, I just received another acceptance letter from South Carolina Review for my poem "Delivery". So now I need to write more stuff before I get it all published.

Later EDIT: I realized I had left out a sarcastic comment I had originally attached to that last sentence and Valerie pointed out that without it, I sound like a real jerk. So here is the truth to that statement. If I keep publishing, which is awesome, I will eventually run out of good poems and have a hard drive full of garbage. So my greatest incentive right now is to not run out of poems I'm proud of and want to get published.

Also, after thinking about this poem all day, I"m probably going to hack this one up into two, maybe three poems.

Tastes

His house was a fridge of beer, bbq, and ketchup,
the family sized jug of Tabasco set like a vase through every dinner.
We didn’t understand Marlboro had seared his tongue into a steak
little more than a speech muscle.
So there were two kinds of food to us –
Mom food, sufficient in itself
and Dad food, a meal made for salting or dipping.
One breakfast on an “every other weekend”,
we tasted spoiled milk. When we told him,
he gave it a chug from the carton. It was fine, all in our heads.
What a divorce cliché to cry through a meal at Dad’s,
but we hiccupped through every sour spoonful.
And we loved going out though it meant a bar
that served Mexican food hot enough for him to taste.
We never suspected dinner beers like he never thought
of second hand smoke. It was another way things were
and we didn’t stop to ask how life was wrong.
Even on the drive home when he’d crunch a curb
or drive us superfast like there were no cops on earth
we’d look out the limited glass of his Pontiac,
see all our stars and say that we have two cities
when most kids have one. Which made us the lucky,
and not the broken. And how must he have thought,
pushing concentration through the cloud of hops,
that maybe these weren’t his kids, just a friend’s,
and he’d drop them off, head back to the bar,
where he could be loved, not divorced but rather new.

9 comments:

  1. Wow... excellent imagery, James. I felt I was the child of the chain-smoking, beer-chugging father. My favorite line was the Marlboro-steak metaphor.

    P.S. Congrats on the new acceptance letter! It helps inspire me into realizing that if I keep improving my writing, maybe someday I'll be as cool as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very well written. I would love to use this as a monologue piece. And I was always worried you didn't have a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one intact, as is, unrepaired. Great poetic narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I agree that it is good as it stands. I do feel like there is a lot I'm missing out on though. Like remember when tangents. A summation of events all true, but incomplete.

    What I would have you do? keep this intact as an intro, then write three more to give more depth to the scenes you introduced. Why the dinner table, the restaurant, the car. Show me the breaking. That's what I want.

    This however, is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a poetry guru but I liked it. I understood it and I could feel the emotions you were portaying. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "dinner beers"

    Sounds like a cool band name!

    Love the new piece James. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,

    Well, I'm glad you were able to step into those shoes. It's a work in progress. It might just be covering too much.

    Bryce,

    This is a bit of what I'm worried about. That it feels like a monologue and not a poem. (Whatever that distinction may be.) Well, you can still wonder about the talent part. Maybe until I'm dead. I can only be judged then. And hopefully, those future people will be like Mad Max.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Bonnie,

    Well, I'm glad you like it. It may just need some editing. Sometimes I get very nervous about straight narrative. There's some real stigmas against it in the poetry world and I doubt myself.

    Jac,

    Yeah, I just wonder if I explored each individual element like you're saying that I might just get more mileage. It feels a bit rushed or a little slapped together.

    I might go ahead with some expansion on either the breakfast or the drive. Or both. I like the idea of following the breaking.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.