
So here was the morning assignment. I wanted to use the structure of her poem, "About Marriage". Which I won't adequately show here because of the blog restrictions on line length and spacing. This is her first line:
Don't lock me in wedlock, I want
marriage, an
encounter -
So I took this idea of marriage and made it my own concern. The feelings I have about calling Valerie my "wife". I think it makes her less. Like she's a half person identifiable only by her title, that she would be the same as other "wives". I frequently just say "Valerie".
The middle part of Levertov's poem was about an encounter with birds. I frequently dislike poems about birds or flowers or anything where poets just list off scientific names to birds or flowers. I hate any poem that starts with...."I spied a bird while sitting at my desk" and then so forth onto comparing that bird to the world or their life and then the bird flies away and I'm at home gagging.
So thinking of that, I forced myself to write myself sitting and writing and thinking about stuff. Now I'm not sure if the middle works yet. But I like how the poem turned out I think. Levertov study, away!
A Four Letter Word
it is tethered
to old earth-
(heavy, connoted)
I tell them instead of the rainstorm
built for us
(the sun, sensing its time
nudges at my attention
I have a fan set
to Paper Storm
and my yesterday knots
have piped from me
into the watertable
I keep my books close
a room of teachers often
but sometimes an audience
the applause of pages
somewhere near
you are cleating the earth
to move at your speed
my words are wings
we have become momentum)
there was a rainstorm
that while we walked through
woke every tree
though it felt like we did
like we were inevitable here
I love it!!!
ReplyDelete