Wednesday, December 29, 2010

California Rainy Day


We are in California and it is raining again. Now I know this is nothing compared to the blizzard we missed in New York but it is sort of a strange experience for me. California-wise. This place is the place of No Weather, of Endless Sun, and Clouds Are Scared To Show weather.

I can't remember the last time I've been able to just sit, write, and post. To rain outside. I think I could do a writer's retreat somewhere rainy. Be forced to stay indoors. Write my brains out all day. I actually have my days here sectioned out by projects.

SUNDAY, MONDAY, TUESDAY - Niagara Falls Project

-this is a graphic novel that Tyson and I are working on about the barrel riders of Niagara Falls, it should be pretty cool. His friend Maris is illustrating it and his style is fascinating and deeply cool.

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY - Poetry Book

-in August I went to Canada to organize my first book of poetry. Aaron Allen was gracious and awesome to let me crash at his sweet cabin in Waterton. I had blog posts about it a while ago. Anyway, I've been editing and adding ever since. My tentative plan is to start sending out to first book contests in January.

SATURDAY, SUNDAY, MONDAY - Scripts/Film Projects

-I have a bunch of scripts I'm backed up on. Three web series, one cartoon web series, and two scripts for festival shorts. Besides the short we already shot that is being edited by our editor, Ed.
But I need to finish my original pilot script. My friend, Nick, keeps telling me if I want to get an agent that's key. So I'm going to just focus on that for a while. I can't tell you what it's about though. I'm superstitious that way.

So here's something I wrote today. Aaron encouraged to write further poems in this vein. As always, this is a first draft. Happy New Year! Here's some death!

Generic Obituary for Anyone #2

She had a name for herself
and it was a sound many made.
She lived in the place she lived.
A lover of food, she would eat it
often, even three times a day.
If there was weather, she noticed.
She is gone but her weight on earth remains.
She had plans for herself, unshared
formulated during long looks into the distance.
Her habit was to enter rooms
and switch all lights to ON.
The world is indeed darker with her gone.
She had a quiet reserve of hopes and dreams.
For those of you who knew her, we send condolences.
For those who didn’t,
we can’t speak enough on what you missed.
Somedays for her were enough to live.
Otherdays she was capable and indomitable.
There will be a service in a place at a time.
When it is finished, we will pull the earth over her.
She will look like she is sleeping.
And that she will not dispute.
She is survived by all of us.

3 comments:

  1. Wow... This is one of the best poems I've read in months (probably since you last posted). I really felt like I could connect with this poem, espeicaly "she is gone, but her weight on earth remains" and "she had plans for herself, unshared that she formulated with long looks into the distance." This could have been written about my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this your winter break schedule or are you still keeping this schedule?

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.