Thursday, April 28, 2011

Today is the Day Our Lives Will Surely Change




It's hard to declare yourself an artist. Especially before you have something substantial to show. A book, a gallery showing, a movie, a dance concert, a play. It's the in-between times, the creation period, that is hard to explain. Sometimes I find myself explaining everything to everyone, every bit of news, every poem, sketch, or webseries I write becomes this constant stream of information. I have nothing to talk about but what I do because I'm mostly in the abstract. At other times, I'm so self conscious of not producing something tangible to show that I clam up.

Like for instance, we went to this amazing fried chicken place two nights ago. I should talk about that. I should spend words on what was a killer experience, what was essentially my birthday dinner, and what was a great time with friends. I should use my blog for that. I'm grateful to have such friends. Somehow in my life I've been blessed with abundance of friends.

For all they've had to listen to me talk about poetry or comedy theory, it's a wonder anybody is still around.

So if I'm not here, it's because I'm stuck in the ether. It's not anything better than whatever else everyone is doing, it's just another thing. It's where I spend my time. I had a frightening thought the other day that if I couldn't write, what would I do? How would I spend my time? What would I find fulfilling?

And the answer?

Unicycling.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I misspelled Penchant...ha...

    Here is what I wrote:

    Like!
    You are far more rehearsed in the skill of writing than I am. I've only started up again...it seems I have a penchant for it when people are dying. So go figure?! For me dealing w/ that specific moment causes sort of a separation from my natural body...it's hard to explain when something just sweeps over you. I am sure you understand. It's like that when I find a good song to sing as well. Oh and I think if you are creative...you are creative. That simply makes you an artist. It's not a choice...it just is.
    That said...you might enjoy this speech via TED

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x-u-tz0MA

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.