Sunday, May 13, 2012

Valerie, They Know You Not


It's hard to sum up a human.  It's harder to sum up Valerie.  I could gush to you for hours about her.  To some of you, I have.  Let me give you a bare bones account at least.  Let me sliver open the door.

Valerie is the most talented person you don't know.  As in you don't really know her.  Here's a small example: in college I was in a comedy improv group.  For some reason, Valerie never tried out and we never asked her to.  She managed the team, maybe we assumed that's all she wanted to do.  Then she and I get to New York.  We decide to take some improv classes at the Upright Citizen's Brigade.  And Valerie kills.  Right off. Nails everything.  The improv instructors love her.  And I find out she's amazing at something else.

It happens that way a lot.  I don't know why I get surprised.

Here's why you don't know her.  She doesn't tell you.  She doesn't advertise.  She took ballet and modern into college.  Do you know that?  No.  She's never mentioned it to you, has she?

Did you know she has dozens of nursery rhymes memorized?  And children's songs?  She wasn't memorizing them because she was going to have a baby.  No.  She just memorizes things.  And they stick.  Forever.

I didn't know this.  Our baby was born and wham! Songs flying out her mouth, lullabying this newborn to sleep.

Valerie doesn't have a great memory...she has a vault.  An underground fortress full of file cabinets.  When she can't think of something, she tells me she'll remember it.  And she sends down her little neuron sized librarian to find it.  And she does find it.  If she learned it, she'll find it.  Her mind is astounding.

We haven't even begun.  Have you seen her act?  Or did you know she acts?  Old friends from college know.  New friends don't.  Why?  Because there's no broadcasting.  Me? I tell everyone every little thing that comes up in my life.  Valerie?  She's an enigma between two slices of mystery with secret sauce on the side.

Here's the way she acts.  It's not like watching an actor.  It's like watching a real person jump off a page.  A real person walk from the audience and make their way onto to set.  Her lines are as simple as speaking. Because her lines to her are just speaking. She gets it.  When she reads a play, she unlocks it.  She's not fretting over words.  Trying to discover meaning.  She's past that.  She's digested it.  She's run these words through nuance machines, through inflection analyzers.  And she puts those words right back into the world. Like she wrote them with her own mouth.

If you ever get the chance to see her act (in a play that she likes) you will be impressed.  You will understand what I mean.  But you better ask me when the play is.  Valerie is not going to tell you.  She's not doing it for other people.  She's not looking for your adoration.

Valerie does it because it's her.  Because what else is she but this?  But the sum of her abilities?  She is the smartest, most talented person I know. I haven't even gotten to her writing.  Her cooking.  Her abilities with people.  Her naturalness at raising a child.  Her easy smile.  The way she befriends everyone.

Do you know what else?  Valerie was pretty in college.  But she just got more and more attractive.  So I win.  I invested early.  I saw what all of you didn't.  Maybe I'm the prize winner then.

Happy Mother's Day, Val.  Many more to come.



11 comments:

  1. I hope I don't know that Valerie cries, because this is a real tear jerker and it'd be sad for you to not have the satisfaction of a little tear from her as you watch her read it. That's what I imagined anyway.
    Beautiful tribute. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. If you hadn't gotten to Valerie first, I might have tried to go for her. Not that she'd have me, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I wish I knew both you and Valerie better. I feel like our families would be great friends if given the chance. It's a small world, though, after all. In any case, I enjoy getting to know both of you via the world wide web, in the meantime.

    Happy mother's day, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janey,

    She doesn't really. I mean, she has tear glands. I've seen these tears. But mostly, she saves them up for the Olympics.

    Liz,
    A lot of men and women are waiting for me to kick the ol' death bucket so they can have a shot at the Val-ster. But if they try to kill me, I will just come back stronger. And by that, I mean as Robocop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,

    Every time I read your blog I think that, too. I think we would have been great friends if we had known each other in college. We had so many mutual connections to, it's funny we didn't.

    I like your 30 Things 30 Days list. I hope one of them is a night in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truth. I'm really grateful that it wasn't news to me. Happy mother's day, Valerie. It suits you perfectly. James, I like you. Always have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always liked Val more than you--I tell you this every chance that I get. Including this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you appreciate her properly. Many things you wrote here also remind me of Valerie's mom and my mom and several other women in our family and so although I haven't seen them first-hand in Valerie I totally get it. I wish we all had a chance to hang out more. Rah, rah for the Irvine-type women, and how smart of you to marry one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a lot guys. Really. Man, just imagine what you'd say if I was dead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post. It brought a tear to my eye. I hope that everyone finds someone in their lives they can write about like this.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.