When Edie was only six weeks old, she learned how to text. This is the continuing saga of our communication.
EDIE: Pop, there's weird brown things around our apartment. And they aren't mushrooms this time.
POP: Those are called boxes. We put stuff we like in them so sweaty ex-Russians can put them in a truck for us and break the things we like.
EDIE: Ok. I will register this taste as 'box'. I'm off to lick the mushrooms again. What are the boxes for?
POP: We're moving.
EDIE: Cool. Where? To the park? Because I vote for the park.
POP: We're moving to Boston. It's farther than the park.
EDIE: So it's by the library? That's great. I love that place. The librarians are all nice and smell like gouda. And you know how I love gouda.
POP: Do you remember when we took those plane rides to California and Michigan?
EDIE: What? We're going on a plane? I hate those.
POP: I know. You adequately demonstrate that every time we fly. Well, Boston is much farther away than the park or library.
EDIE: You're taking me away from the PARK?! You monsters! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.
POP: Are you throwing an actual temper tantrum or just a text one?
EDIE: I couldn't decide. Also, I'm stuck between two of those box things. I'm going to lick a hole in this one and sabotage the whole move.
POP: We can just get a new one. This is happening. Wrap your little head around it.
EDIE: Fine! New plan! I'm going to hide until you have to stay.
POP: You get hungry like every two hours.
EDIE: Rats! Alright. Leave a bunch of cheese and squeezy fruit packages on the ground and then leave and then I'll hide.
POP: Hey, I don't want to leave New York either. Me and your Mom love it here.
EDIE: What's a New York?
POP: It's the city we live in. Actually, we live in Brooklyn which is a part of New York which is a city in the state of New York. Boston is in Massachusetts.
EDIE: I don't even know what you just wrote there. How about you just not ruin my life and move us to the park? I want to live near the Dog Pond. Dogs are hilarious.
POP: There will be a new park. A new library. A whole new world to lick.
EDIE: Don't pigeonhole me, Pop! Licking isn't my only 'thing'. I'm complicated. I'm a mystery wrapped in a cuddly blanket. Which is 50 percent mystery and 50 percent rayon.
POP: What are you licking right now?
EDIE: The bed spread. It tastes like soap and high thread count.
POP: We might live near Harvard. You could Good Will Hunting yourself into the school.
POP: Not really. Do you ever get tired of making me tired?
EDIE: I do not. Is there a dog pond in Boston?
POP: We should just get our own dog. Then you and me could just make our own dog pond. And by that I mean the bathtub.
EDIE: I don't think Mom wants a dog. Which is too bad because I just ordered a little baby saddle.
POP: Oh my gosh. The thought of you riding a dog makes me not even mad at you for using my credit card. And being on the internet.
EDIE: I want to be a baby jouster. Boston has that kind of crap, right?
POP: I'm sure. Boston is mega weird. Your Mom's getting out of the shower. Let's both look wistful while we stare at pictures of dogs.
EDIE: I'll get some tears going. She's a sucker for my weepy peepers.



What? What? What?
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome!
EDIE: Don't pigeonhole me, Pop! Licking isn't my only 'thing'. I'm complicated. I'm a mystery wrapped in a cuddly blanket. Which is 50 percent mystery and 50 percent rayon.
ReplyDeleteFavorite line.
Also, is it weird that I am sort of almost possibly tearing up right now?
James, neither you nor your wife have said why you're moving to Boston. What's going on?
ReplyDeleteSo did the weepy peepers work? Are you going to get a dog in Boston?
ReplyDelete