Thursday, July 12, 2012

Edie and Pop Ep. 11 - Forever Vacation



The continuing saga of text messages between me and my baby.

EDIE:  Where are you?  I keep turning my little baby neck and you are nowhere.

POP:  I'm not near you.  I'm in Boston.  You're in L.A.

EDIE:  I don't know what that means.  Distance is a mystery to me.  Are these the names of rooms?  Because I'll crawl to Boston and lick the walls on the way.

POP:  You'd have to crawl through the hallway of Nebraska and you would die from boredom.

EDIE:  Just come out of the Boston room.  I want to play.

POP:  I'm sorry, baby.  Boston isn't a room.  It's a city.  I'm very far away from you.

EDIE: That sucks!  I hate you now.  Never come back.

POP:  Well, you're coming to me.

EDIE:  Not likely, pal.  This room is amazing.  I have grandparents and cousins and a dog that looks like a mop.

POP:  The "L.A. Room" is great.  But we're moving to Boston.  You're just on vacation.

EDIE:  Well, vacation is awesome.  Let's always be on vacation.

POP:  So says every adult that works ever.  My fingers would sigh but I haven't always been gainfully employed so I really have no right.

EDIE:  What's the big deal?  Just move out and here and live with my grandparents.  They're great.  You should meet them.

POP:  I already know them.  And we can't.  You can't just live forever with parents.  It's like a societal thing.

EDIE:  I'm not always going to live with you? What will I do?

POP:  Well, eventually, you'll feed yourself and clothe yourself and provide for yourself.

EDIE:  If you kick me out, I'll just live with these "grandparents" people.  They freaking adore me.  Who are they anyway?

POP:  Those are your Mom's parents.  Do you really not know how relationships work?

EDIE:  I know how they work.  I scream for food or a toy and everyone who is related to me jumps and everyone who isn't watches me like I'm a little monster.

POP:  Nope. You completely understand.

EDIE:  Fine.  So let's say I do want to see you again, theoretically, and I'll come with Mom to "Boston". What's so great about it?

POP:  There's lots of history here. Emerson, Hawthorne, Alcott, Thoreau all lived here-

EDIE:  Boring.

POP:  The beautiful forests.

EDIE:  Great.  More gianter things than adults.  Next.

POP:  You could acquire a weird accent.

EDIE:  It's going to mix with my Brooklyn one.  I'm going to sound crazy.

POP:  And people will murder you here if you don't like their baseball team. So dedication.

EDIE:  I don't know what murder is but it sounds wonderful.  Does it taste like hotdogs?

POP:   You don't really have a choice.  You're coming to Boston with your mom.

EDIE:  You're not the boss of me. Does Boston have endless blue sky like L.A.?

POP:  Not exactly.

EDIE:  Does Boston have delicious fish tacos and mexican food that you or Mom will feed me little pieces of?

POP:   No.  There's no good Mexican food out east.

EDIE:  Does Boston have a swimming pool?  Grandparents?  Moppy dog?  Uncle James or Cousin Taylor?  Otter pops?

POP:  No, no, no.  It just has me and your Mom and a buttload of winter.  Just get over it.  This is where we're living.

EDIE:  I'm staying here!  Try to make me leave!

POP:   You're a baby!  I just have to pick you up! You have no muscles!

EDIE:  You're kidnapping me!  I'll call the cops!

POP:  Well, you're out of luck non-speaker.  You can't text 911.

EDIE:  I'm doing it.  I'm texting them.

POP:  Good luck with that.

EDIE:  Oh no.  You can text 911.  They said they're coming to our house!

POP:  I don't know anything about this.  Erase this message.

EDIE:  Deal.  Baby out.

5 comments:

  1. Edie is a briliant child. And if you want to drive to New London, CT. I understand there is a really good Mexican restaurant there.
    Sorry Edie about the winters. There can't be California weather everywhere and California has earthquakes and fires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edie - Cousin Jamie will change places with you - he loves winter and hates the CA heat. Then you get to stay in CA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, Edie. The hallway of Nebraska is the crappiest place on the planet. Pop knows what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much more believable now that I've met Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--murder tasting like hot dogs...I actually really like that. You should be a writer or something. Also, Edie looks like Valerie, I declare. She is real cute!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.