Sunday, October 21, 2012

Me Versus All of Edie's Enemies



So I know things happen to kids.  I will continue to learn this.  All parents have horror stories.  I know, I know.  I'm just going to have to wallow in this "I Suck as a Dad" feeling for a while until I do something awesome as a dad.  Like save her life from a tornado full of bears.

Edie had an accident.  Which is a really nice way to say it because really what is in my head is: "If you'd just fixed the thing you said you were going to fix, this wouldn't have happened."  It's hard not to put the blame on yourself. I can't speak for Valerie, she told me how bad she felt but she can tell you in her own words.  I don't speak for her.

We have steam radiators and yes, she burned herself.  She burned her palms and her mouth and I don't want to think how exactly she did those things because it makes me physically ill to picture her touching it and not being able to pull away because she's so unsteady when she's standing up.

I was not home, Valerie had put her down for a second.  We don't usually turn on the radiators during the day and Val had turned it on to heat up her room for her nap. She was down for a few seconds.  Kids are fast, things happen in an instant. Val feels awful about it. But it wouldn't have been a problem at all if I had gotten the radiator covers I'd been putting off for a month.

It was an accident and I know we can't dwell on it but it's hard not to keep playing it over and over in your mind.  Valerie took her to the local hospital and they bandaged her up and then told her to take her to Shriner's Burn Hospital in Boston.  That's when she called me and said she was picking me up. She had the car for the day.

I brought Edie a toy from my work to play with on the way to the hospital and then I saw her hands were gauze wrapped past her fingers and she couldn't grasp anything.  I nearly lost it right then.  Luckily, Edie was asleep when I got in the car.  We drove her down.  The nurses were great.  Two of the nurse practitioners were there helping the whole time.

They told us to stop blaming ourselves.  Right.  Theoretically, yes.  I get it.  I can't do that.  It's hard not to.

Edie has second degree burns on her palms.  Her beautiful big lips have blisters and her nose and chin have small marks.  They popped the blister on her right hand and her hands are wrapped up like a boxer.  

She doesn't seem to be in any pain.  She's not even favoring her hands when she crawls.  She's still just as happy. We get the bandages changed tomorrow so we'll get a better idea. But until then I've been letting Edie have as much ice cream and Baby Einstein as she wants.  Sure, she might come out of this a ice-cream-eating-only-monster but I don't care.  I just want her happy.

Here's hoping something dire happens soon that I can leap in front of and save her and give me some of that Adequate Dad feeling back.  A falling piano or falling Renzo Piano would be great.  An out-of-control rickshaw maybe, a time travel plot to kill her, flying snakes, a Hunger Games situation, a swarm of angry ladybugs, I don't care.  I know more is coming.  It's just hard to see her hands wrapped up like this and not think what if.  Fighting something for her would feel like not failing.  A whole little girl and that feeling back are all I want.


12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry James (and Valerie.) There's nothing worse in the world than when your kid gets hurt and when you think hard enough, there's always something you find that you could have done differently to prevent it. I'm glad she doesn't appear to be in any pain and hopefully they'll heal quickly and as the blisters go away you'll start feeling more like the great dad you are. I know I've never actually seen you with Edie, but I can tell, you're a good dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can arrange a tornado full of bears.
    And I would suggest kicking the radiator.
    That should help you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no.Things like this are the worst. I just tell myself they won't remember when they're grown. But it doesn't help the sickening feeling in your heart. She is still so stinking adorable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully, I'm not leaving this twice. I tried once already, but it didn't show up.

    I'm so sorry James (and Valerie.) There's nothing worse in the world than when your kid gets hurt and when you think hard enough, there's always something you find that you could have done differently to prevent it. I'm glad she doesn't appear to be in any pain and hopefully they'll heal quickly and as the blisters go away you'll start feeling more like the great dad you are. I know I've never actually seen you with Edie, but I can tell, you're a good dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mere fact that you feel the way you do is proof you are great parents. Like you said, "things happen." She loves you and is obviously still the happy girl she's always been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is still absolutely beautiful and $&^% happens. Don't be so hard on yourselves. Mark fell when he was 18 mos. old and almost lost his eye...our fault cuz we did fix the torn carpet and he tripped into the leg of the bed. Sarah fell off a balance beam and cut her ear and fell off the back of a three wheeler. Annie is the only one who went unscathed as a little one. So stop it and give her kisses and she ain't going to remember a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you guys are wonderful and she's a champ.
    you have a limited amount of time to get pictures of her with a tiny punching bag, so get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ug I just felt a sick knot in my stomach the entire time I read this. Not a "wow they are the worst parents ever" knot, though. It was more of a I'm-imagining-myself-in-their-situation-and-I-would-hate-that-so-much kind of knot.
    I feel worse for you guys than Edie! And I'm going to go buy Georgia some gauze because I think your daughter just started a fashion trend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WAaaaaah! Sweet tiny thing! I can't even stand these pictures...Edie is breaking my heart. I would give her ice cream too.

    I was talking to Jacob the other day about the fact that all parents have to take a kid to the ER at least once, if not more times. It's like this rite of passage for parents or something. Some crappy rite of passage, though.

    I second that idea of pictures of her with a tiny punching bag, btw. She'll love that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. she is so freaking cute, bandages and all. I know the feeling...though I often redeem my failures by catching heads before they hit the ground. Oddly I do this quite often. Sometimes it's a miss, but usually, it's a save, it makes up for failing to catch Gus when he was dancing on the dining room table and fell off and hit his head on the chair, then the floor. Did I mention I was sitting right next to him? Also, is Val wearing leggings in the second photo? Just curious. I miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey James, will Edy still have finger prints after her hands have healed? Because if not, we should talk. I see many possibilities, starting with stealing the declaration of independence. Just like in that one awesome movie starring the ever timeless Nicolas Cage. I think Sam would really dig having it in his study.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.