Saturday, January 06, 2007

My Top 50 Songs for 2006


So I read through Rolling Stone's top 100 songs of 2006 and I didn't agree. What kind of music elitist jerk would I be if I did? Soooo...I've decided to do 50. Now I'm very lazy and some of you might find that these songs are not from 2006. But I've been listening to them in 2006 and my reality is based on me. They are not in any order of awesomeness because my brain would melt itself from the decision making. Here they are:


The Funeral -- Band of Horses
Anti-Anti -- Snowden
Over and Over -- Hot Chip
Amsterdam -- Peter, Bjorn, and John
Christmas in July -- Sufjan Stevens
Go Lucky -- The Curtains
Roscoe -- Midlake
Things Are What You Make of Them -- Bishop Allen
You Only Live Once -- The Strokes
You Never Got Me Right -- Frida Hyvonen
Mushaboom -- Feist
I Will Follow You into the Dark -- Death Cab For Cutie
All Fires -- Swan Lake
Romo-Goth -- Department of Eagles
The Vice and Virtue Ministry -- The Happy Bullets
Heartbeats -- Jose Gonzalez
Here it Goes Again -- OK GO
The Same Fire -- Bishop Allen
Crazy -- Gnarls Barkley
Young Folks -- Peter, Bjorn, and John
Hollywood Ending -- Hayden
Noah's Ark -- CocoRosie
Star Witness -- Neko Case
1981 -- Adam Arcuragi
Steady As She Goes -- The Raconteurs
Free Radicals -- The Flaming Lips
Phenomena -- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
That Teenage Feeling -- Neko Case
Woman -- Wolfmother
Thursday -- Asobi Seksu
Middle Distance Runner -- Sea Wolf
Home By Saturday -- Hayden
Captain Badass -- Songs Ohia
Gold Lion -- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Stadiums and Shrines II -- Sunset Rubdown
Rough Gem -- The Islands
Liar -- Built to Spill
Feel Good Inc. -- Gorillaz
Skyscrapers -- Detachment Kit
The Greatest -- Cat Power
Crosses -- Jose Gonzalez
Adlai -- Sufjan Stevens
Sing Me Spanish Techno -- The New Pornographers
Oh Mandy -- The Spinto Band
I Turn My Camera On -- Spoon
Marching Bands of Manhattan -- Death Cab for Cutie
I Don't Blame You -- Cat Power
The Crane Wife -- The Decemberists
Save Room -- John Legend
The Monitor -- Bishop Allen


Sure, I'm going to hit myself later and think of others or look at some and think "Really? That one? You like that one?" And of course, I'll realize that some of those I was listening to in '05 or even '04. Oh well. There's probably tons of good music I didn't listen to that I should have. And there's no rap and blah blah blah. I didn't say it comprehensive. This is just some of the stuff I dug last year.

Maybe this year I'll actually start to like TV on the Radio, also. '07 already feels crazy.

6 comments:

  1. i always felt like gnarls b. was a poor-man's TV on the Radio..

    but TVOTR's "cookie mountain" isn't even 1/16th the album that "Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes" was..

    hmm..well Seamus, i have thought about doing a similar list. feel free to tear mine up

    ReplyDelete
  2. a fine list...however, i say 2007 is the year to put the kibosh on Sufjan. i liked him...alot, but i have grown tired of him and ache in my joints like an old man predicting bad weather when i think we still have about 48 more albums with accompanying 20 song EP's to look forward to. the man can write a mean song, and i will always enjoy the times we had. but i have had about enough.

    i don't know how a list of mine would fare under the intense scrutiny of the young Joe Griff, and if that is all he had to say, then your list is truly a fine list.

    you are neat, as is you wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you got postitive comments from both Joe G and Emo Darren. You, my friend, have made it!

    I'm sorry to say that as my source of music coolness you failed in 2006. I've only heard of about 1/3rd of those bands, and I've only actually heard a 1/4th of them, so get your butt in gear and enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah..sufjan is so damned twee it makes me cringe. thanks for reminding me hound..and i am assuming that a darren '06 list would contain copious amounts of Morningwood and Joshua Kaddison.

    Mike Laugh-Ead..captain of the sly disdain. Love it.

    Also, I have had some time to ponder the list, and all I can really say is this: No "The Knife" Silent Shout = No Cred! (yes!! those are exclamation po!nts!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Jessie paint a picture of how it's gonna be..." then toss in a cat names Moses and phone booth in Vegas and the song practically writes itself into top 40 gold.

    as for the EMO moniker Mike slung my way, i will just let the pain it caused express itself through song and call myself Chris Carrabba.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time for some post-list snark. Since your blatant derision of The Knife, and your aspersion casting (So, I am the bastardest, am I?) I have thought a little (but not too much) harder about your list. Observe:

    Band of Horses = Poor, deaf, extra chromosomed Man’s “My Morning Jacket”. Once you exceed a certain level of reverb on your guitar, it is evident that you are stealing from MMJ. Band of Horses shoved pages of the MMJ book in their greasy pockets and are feasting off their table scraps. I think even Darren (the kid with the list superior to yours) would agree with me on this one.

    Okay, really, as long as anyone is paying attention to Sufjan and his cute little research projects, he will stick around. James, you are the last one. Please stop encouraging him.

    So, you like the song “Heartbeats” by Jose Gonzalez, but not The Knife? So how does your prior pronouncement of “crap” (for the Knife) jive with this logic before mine eyes?

    Oh yeah, The Strokes—I remember those over privileged art-school hacks. A true band, in the business of making music, surely not into themselves.

    (Pssst…James….you might want to take a look at your list…Ok Go and John Legend both managed to sneak on there…remember, your blog is public…)

    Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad…I Turn My Camera on is the WORST song on that album! Uh…you know it has attained new heights of nasty when it is being featured on The Veronica Mars soundtrack and bloody Jaguar commercials…Your musical tastes are on-par with the Veronica Mars and Country Club crowds James, which is probably an improvement…Now had you said “I Summon You” or “They Never Got You,” then we could agree on something. Turn My Camera On is just Britt Daniel leaving his Steely Dan/Thin Lizzy sound and going for a direct Sly Stone/Curtis Mayfield ape…

    One More:The Islands?…just Islands…time for your editaroo.

    Okay, I am tired of being a mean-ass, but this is self-defense snark. things were good between us James…things were really starting to go somewhere…we were both living happily in Manchuria, shooting guns, eating cold cuts, relaxing in the halcyon rays of manhood and heterosexuality, and then this fiasco of opinion…

    And really, put some damn pants on!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.