Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Poem for My Friend John Munley, Poem 16

Disclaimer:

Youth is supposed to have no future.
Folly is commerce.
We lived when bombs were just boom—
smoky black cherries with rope thick fuses,
that burned slow enough to play Hot Potato.
Spy vs Spy days, when 9/11 was only a fraction.
Events were flukes not terror.
Even Oklahoma City had no echoes in our hometown.
A dull thud, a bomb in a cartoon box
the nation sat on to squelch the noise.

Crammed in our getaway car (a Chevy Suburban),
our government targets (mailboxes),
taunted us with their wholeness,
their tin can sheen, middle finger flags.
In our secret explosives laboratory, (Sean’s garage)
we spoiled for the fight, drunk
on the citrusy nectar of Dew.
A fogged night, the wisps caterpillaring the streets,
we struck out for the richest neighborhood,
bombs in the backseat,
chattering in tinny tones.

When John burst
from the doors of the car,
holding that pipe bomb like a relay runner,
we didn’t know his heart
was ticking down to a final day.
Later, a head full of Olympic dream,
John was running towards being
a something more, a greatness—
when he collapsed mid-race,
in a woods, into an easy quiet.

It was a huge bang.
The bills, the birthday cards, the junk mail,
spread over and out like confetti,
and John sprinted back, fluid and steady,
all of us up, shouting and clapping.

4 comments:

  1. I remember that night... that was my suburban. I also remember getting arrested for prowling... again, with you, in the suburban... you, James Best, may have been my worst influence... and that is saying something. Much love. Gwinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Gwinn. I'm glad that my non-alcoholic, non-drug, slightly womanizing, mayhem driven self was your worst influence. At least I'll always cherish being fingerprinted and mug-shotted. No one can take that away from us. But please remember that I got our sentence talked down from attempted robbery to prowling. No easy feat. Call me Missy Misdemeanor Elliot.

    Jamesy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unprepared for the poem to John Munley. Crazy. And it was beautiful, as always.

    Congratulations on being in NYC and doing the dream thang....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for people to know.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. They make me less dead inside.