Ally Sheedy
I don't know how I first saw Breakfast Club. It wasn't in 85 because I was six years old then. But I know I saw Ferris Bueller by the time I was ten so it must have happened by then. Because Ally Sheedy, before anyone else, was my first crush.
And not Wargames or Short Circuit Ally Sheedy. Not yet. First it was weird, outsider Breakfast Club Ally Sheedy. She was quirky, she was dark and mysterious. I was young so I believed in stereotypes like Jock, Cheerleader, Freak, Nerd.
I was young but I knew Ally Sheedy was for me. I laughed when she made her crazy lunch. I liked how she did the odd things, like tie string around her finger to make it purple. It felt childlike, uninhibited. She was so impulsive and ready to just say how she felt. I crushed hard on her.
And later I would watch her in Short Circuit, and Made to Order, and Wargames over and over. And I liked those movies. But I was really watching Ally Sheedy.
Claire Danes
In the early 90s, I was obsessed with MTV just like any other kid. I started to dabble in the music scene. Having no older siblings to guide my music, Nirvana, of course, was my first real eye opener into a world of music to really dig. I watched 120 Minutes, hung out at a record store, rode my bike down to the local independent radio station.
And around this time, My So Called Life premiered. Truthfully, I don't even know how many episodes I watched. And watching some clips of the show she was a lot more upbeat and cheery than I remember. But I think I wanted to live in this world with her. I wanted to be her cool boyfriend with cool hair and sheepskin collar jackets. Looking back, I'm not sure it was her as much as the negative space around her that I wanted to fill.
I wanted a girl that cool and self-narrative. That was beautiful but not girly. Someone who dressed interesting and had hip modern music playing around us while we kissed. She was a dreamer and an outsider and was obsessed with love. I was young. I was sure I was those things, too.
Melissa Joan Hart
Yep, I loved Clarissa. I wanted her to Explain It All to me. It was a quirky show and maybe telling that she was such an upbeat alternative to my two previous crushes. It was a Nick show. Of course she was upbeat. I was also into sneaking out at the time. I loved getting out of the house at night and walking in the dark. I wanted a night time Clarissa to visit.
If you've seen the show, you'd know there's a dude named Sam who has access to a ladder that he can use to climb into Clarissa's window whenever he pleases. As far as we know, he only does this when Clarissa is in the room. But what if he's a perv and climbs up for tom-peepery when she doesn't know?
Anyway, Clarissa had a couple of traits that had already made an appearance in my crushes. Cool, un-preppy clothing. Outspoken and wellspoken. Into interesting, off-kilter things. Strong willed.
Loved Melissa Joan Hart. First crush that I thought might be as old as me as well. She's only three years older. (Just found out Claire Danes is the same age as me. 10 days apart, in fact. What might have been...)
Minnie Driver
Is anyone seeing a connection here? There's two things that attract me about girls before anything else. Personality and hair. Someone's guffawing, thinking: "Just say boobs and butts, you liar. You were a teenage boy." But I'm from Michigan. Bodies were pretty covered up most of the year.
That long, kinky dark hair. That smile? The laugh that seems to surprise her? It killed me. Good Will Hunting? Of course. So moody and passionate. So ready to laugh. Smart and funny. Deeply smitten. In deep smit.
But it was Grosse Point Blank that put me over the edge. If you've seen that movie, how can you not be in love with her? It's impossible. She's so off the cuff and dripping personality. She felt young and impulsive and ready for anything. I wanted that. I wanted someone to run away with me. Maybe I was tired of myself a little then. I wanted something fresh like Minnie Driver.
The Synthesis
It might have been inevitable. I might have been doomed from when I met her. Because Valerie was the single, most perfect crossroads of all these crushes.
She was endlessly fun. She was smarter than me. She was easy to be around. She had the hair I loved, she had the willingness to get up and go at anytime. She was well read, she was well spoken. She was herself and no one else.
She was as unique as Ally Sheedy and as interesting as Claire Danes and as wry as Melissa Joan Hart and as magnetic as Minnie Driver.
Probably doomed. I don't even know if I saw it all until years later. Or maybe I did. Maybe as soon as she refused to write down her number for me when we were standing in the Kirkham building foyer, I knew something. Or maybe when she told me she wanted to throw her engagement ring into the ocean or when we slept in a train station in Italy together or when we drove into New York for the first time or the first time we fell asleep with the baby between us or just now when she smiled at me and didn't even know I was writing about her. I still have a crush.
That long, kinky dark hair. That smile? The laugh that seems to surprise her? It killed me. Good Will Hunting? Of course. So moody and passionate. So ready to laugh. Smart and funny. Deeply smitten. In deep smit.
But it was Grosse Point Blank that put me over the edge. If you've seen that movie, how can you not be in love with her? It's impossible. She's so off the cuff and dripping personality. She felt young and impulsive and ready for anything. I wanted that. I wanted someone to run away with me. Maybe I was tired of myself a little then. I wanted something fresh like Minnie Driver.
The Synthesis
It might have been inevitable. I might have been doomed from when I met her. Because Valerie was the single, most perfect crossroads of all these crushes.
She was endlessly fun. She was smarter than me. She was easy to be around. She had the hair I loved, she had the willingness to get up and go at anytime. She was well read, she was well spoken. She was herself and no one else.
She was as unique as Ally Sheedy and as interesting as Claire Danes and as wry as Melissa Joan Hart and as magnetic as Minnie Driver.
Probably doomed. I don't even know if I saw it all until years later. Or maybe I did. Maybe as soon as she refused to write down her number for me when we were standing in the Kirkham building foyer, I knew something. Or maybe when she told me she wanted to throw her engagement ring into the ocean or when we slept in a train station in Italy together or when we drove into New York for the first time or the first time we fell asleep with the baby between us or just now when she smiled at me and didn't even know I was writing about her. I still have a crush.


Love this post. Remember when she revamped your blog into a blog of love for a V-day prank? that was REALLY funny. And throw her engagement ring into the ocean?? Harold and Maud?! Love it!
ReplyDeleteYes, I do remember that. It was pretty funny though I remember having to do a lot of stuff to get that blog back to what it was before. Which was poorly designed.
DeleteAnd yes, she did threaten to throw her engagement ring into the ocean. That story is legendary.
Well DONE, James. Wild applause! 50 cheers for Val and this post. Perfect. Also, 3 thumbs up for "In deep smit."
ReplyDeleteYou're a lucky guy, and the world's a lucky world because your wife's in it.
Thanks, Jen. I do think the world is a little luckier now Valerie is riding the spins.
Deleteperfect.
ReplyDeleteYou two make me really happy. I have been blessed to know couples that really compliment one another in perfect ways. I am so happy to read about your adventures together and to hear about the twists and turns.
ReplyDeleteCongrats to both of you, and Happy Birthday Val!!!
That was beautiful James.
ReplyDeleteThis is the most romantic thing I've ever read.
ReplyDelete